SUNDAY SAUCE
When I married into an Italian family, one of the first things that made me laugh was hearing my mother-in-law call tomato sauce Sunday gravy. I remember thinking, "Gravy? But gravy is brown!" 😂
The funny part is that there isn't one "right" name. Some Italian families call it Sunday gravy, some call it Sunday sauce, and others call it sugo. No matter what it's called, it's more than just a pot of sauce—it's a tradition. It's about slowing down, letting the sauce simmer for hours, and gathering everyone around the table for a meal made with love.
So while my mother-in-law still calls it Sunday gravy, this is my Sunday Sauce. It's the version I've come to love making in our home, with San Marzano tomatoes, fresh herbs, lemon zest, and a Parmigiano Reggiano rind simmered low and slow until every bite is rich, comforting, and full of flavor.
The best part? This is just the beginning. This recipe is Part 1 of my Sunday dinner series. Tomorrow I'll be sharing my homemade meatballs, and then we'll bring everything together with bucatini for the kind of meal that makes Sunday feel extra special.
Whether you call it sauce, gravy, or sugo, I hope this recipe finds a place at your family table.♥
Sunday Sauce
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 3 hours | Total Time: 3 hours 10 minutes | Servings: 4
Ingredients
- 1 (28-ounce) can San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Rao's Homemade Marinara Sauce
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 large sprig fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 1 rind Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
Directions
- Heat a generous drizzle of olive oil in a large pot over low heat. Add the onion and cook until softened and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the thyme, bay leaf, red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning. Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently, until fragrant.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1–2 minutes, being careful not to let it brown or burn.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring often, until it deepens in color and begins to caramelize.
- Stir in the San Marzano tomatoes, Rao's Homemade Marinara Sauce, lemon zest, salt, and black pepper. Using the side of a wooden spoon, gently crush the tomatoes until they reach your desired consistency.
- Stir in ½ cup of water. As the sauce simmers, continue adding water ½ cup at a time, as needed, to maintain a rich, saucy consistency.
- Add the basil sprig and Parmigiano Reggiano rind.
- Bring the sauce to a gentle simmer. Cover partially and cook over low heat for about 3 hours, stirring occasionally and adding more water as needed. This slow simmer allows the tomatoes to fully break down and the flavors to develop.
- Remove and discard the basil sprig, thyme stems, bay leaf, and Parmesan rind. Taste and adjust the seasoning with additional salt and black pepper, if needed. Garnish with fresh basil and serve warm.
What I Used
I made this Sunday Sauce using a couple of my everyday kitchen favorites that I reach for again and again. If you're looking for the exact tools I used, I've linked them below.
- Caraway Stainless Steel Pan — Shop Amazon
- Microplane Zester & Grater — Shop Amazon
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
What I Used
I made this Sunday Sauce using a couple of my everyday kitchen favorites that I reach for again and again. If you're looking for the exact tools I used, I've linked them below.
- Caraway Stainless Steel Pan — Shop Amazon
- Microplane Zester & Grater — Shop Amazon
Jesse's Kitchen Tip
Don't rush a good Sunday Sauce. Three hours might seem like a long time, but that's exactly what gives it its rich, deep flavor. Keep the heat low, stir every so often, and add a splash of water if it starts to thicken too much. The sauce should gently bubble - not boil.
Serving Suggestions
♥ Bucatini or rigatoni
♥ Homemade meatballs
♥ Crusty Italian bread
♥ Caesar salad
♥ Chianti, Sangiovese, or Cabernet
Storage
Store cooled Sunday Sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat gently over low heat, adding a splash of water if needed.
Variations
♥ Add homemade meatballs during the final hour of simmering.
♥ Simmer with Italian sausage for extra richness.
♥ Blend for a smoother sauce, if desired.
♥ Add mushrooms for extra heartiness.
Baby Friendly?
Suitable for 9+ months
Before adding the salt and red pepper flakes, remove a portion of the sauce. Simmer until the tomatoes are very soft, then blend or mash to an age-appropriate consistency. Serve with soft pasta or alongside shredded meat.
RDH Tip
Tomato-based sauces are naturally acidic and can temporarily soften tooth enamel. Rinse with water after eating and wait about 30 minutes before brushing to help protect your enamel.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why add a Parmesan rind?
A Parmigiano Reggiano rind slowly melts into the sauce as it simmers, adding richness, depth, and a subtle savory flavor. Don't skip it if you have one!
Why use lemon zest?
A little lemon zest brightens the sauce and balances the richness of the tomatoes. You won't taste lemon, but it adds a fresh finish that makes all the flavors pop.
Why does the sauce simmer for 3 hours?
A long, gentle simmer allows the tomatoes to fully break down while the herbs, Parmesan rind, and aromatics slowly infuse the sauce. The result is a richer, sweeter, and more flavorful Sunday Sauce that's worth every minute.


Comments
Post a Comment