HOMEMADE MEATBALLS

When it comes to homemade meatballs, everyone seems to have their own way of making them. These are my take on the Italian version - simple, tender, and packed with fresh herbs, lemon zest, and plenty of Parmigiano Reggiano.

One thing I love about meatballs is how versatile they are. Depending on what I have on hand, I'll sometimes swap the breadcrumbs for milk-soaked bread, which gives them an even softer, more traditional texture. I also prefer making my meatballs on the smaller side because I think they're easier to eat and perfect for coating in plenty of Sunday Sauce.

One of my favorite little surprises came from my mother-in-law. She stuffs her meatballs with raisins, and I know it might sound unusual if you've never had them, but trust me - they're incredible. As they cook, the raisins become soft and sweet, adding the perfect little burst of flavor. It's one of those family traditions that I look forward to every time.

This recipe is Part 2 of my Sunday Dinner Series. If you haven't already, start with my Sunday Sauce, because these meatballs finish simmering in the sauce, soaking up all of that rich homemade flavor. Tomorrow, we'll bring everything together with bucatini for the ultimate Sunday dinner. ♥

Homemade Meatballs

Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 40 minutes | Servings: 4

Ingredients

  • 1½ pounds 80/20 ground beef
  • ¼ small onion, finely grated
  • 3 garlic cloves, finely grated
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil and parsley
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • ¼–½ cup Italian-style breadcrumbs (use enough to create a mixture that's moist but not wet or dry)
  • ¼ cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
  • Olive oil, for cooking
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, grated onion, grated garlic, lemon zest, egg, basil, parsley, milk, breadcrumbs, Parmigiano Reggiano, salt, and black pepper.
  2. Gently mix everything together with your hands until just combined. Be careful not to overmix, or the meatballs can become tough.
  3. Roll the mixture into small, evenly sized meatballs.
  4. Heat enough olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat to lightly coat the bottom of the pan.
  5. Working in batches if needed, cook the meatballs without overcrowding the pan, turning until browned on all sides. If you're adding them to the Sunday Sauce, they don't need to be fully cooked through—they'll finish cooking as the sauce simmers. If serving them on their own, continue cooking until cooked through.
  6. Enjoy them hot over pasta or tucked into a crusty sandwich—either way, they're delicious. 
- Simple ingredients. Big flavor. Homemade with love. ♥



What I Used

I made these homemade meatballs using a few of my favorite kitchen essentials that I reach for again and again. If you're looking for the exact tools I used, I've linked them below.

Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.


Jesse's Kitchen Tip

For the juiciest meatballs, mix the ingredients gently and avoid overworking the meat. Browning them first builds incredible flavor, while finishing them in Sunday Sauce keeps them tender and juicy. 

Serving Suggestions

♥ Sunday Sauce & Bucatini
♥ Creamy Parmesan Polenta
♥ Caesar Salad
♥ Crusty Italian Bread
♥ Chianti, Sangiovese, or Cabernet

Storage

Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Freeze uncooked meatballs for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before cooking as directed.

Make Ahead

Shape the meatballs up to 1 day in advance and refrigerate, covered, until ready to cook. Perfect for an easy weeknight dinner or Sunday meal prep.

Variations

♥ Use ground beef, ground pork, and ground veal for a classic Italian-style meatball.
♥ Finish cooking them in Sunday Sauce for extra flavor.
♥ Make mini meatballs for soups, appetizers, or parties.
♥ Add a pinch of red pepper flakes for a little heat.

Baby Friendly?

Suitable for 9+ months
Before adding the meatballs to the Sunday Sauce, set one aside. Cook it through completely, then cut into very small pieces or shred into an age-appropriate texture. Serve with soft pasta or mashed vegetables.

RDH Tip

Meatballs, fresh herbs, and Parmesan can get caught between your teeth. Keep floss or interdental brushes handy for a healthier smile.


Frequently Asked Questions

Why are my meatballs tough?

Overmixing the meat can make meatballs dense and tough. Mix the ingredients gently until just combined for the most tender texture.

Can I use milk-soaked bread instead of breadcrumbs?

Absolutely! Milk-soaked bread is a more traditional option and creates softer, more tender meatballs. I use it whenever I have fresh bread on hand.

Why add lemon zest?

Lemon zest brightens the meatballs and balances the richness of the beef and Parmesan. You won't taste lemon - it simply enhances the overall flavor.



- We're almost there! Tomorrow we're bringing everything together with bucatini for the perfect Sunday dinner. If you make these homemade meatballs, I'd love to see them—tag @JesseGalloCo so I can follow along! ♥

Comments

Popular Posts