CHICKEN FRIED RICE
This chicken fried rice was one of those dinners that came together because I needed to clean out the fridge before our trip to Ohio.
I had one chicken breast, some bok choy and a bunch of sauces that needed to be used, and I really didn’t want anything going to waste. So I made some rice, grabbed the bag of frozen Asian vegetables I always keep around, and figured fried rice was probably the easiest way to turn everything into dinner.
Even the sauce was basically a fridge clean-out. Soy sauce, teriyaki, hoisin, oyster sauce, ponzu, fish sauce, sesame oil and some Fly By Jing chili crisp all went into the bowl. There wasn’t really a big plan when I started, but once everything hit the wok, it just worked.
That’s one of my favorite things about fried rice — it’s so versatile. You can switch up the protein, throw in whatever vegetables you have, make it spicy or keep it mild, and it’s also really easy to make baby-friendly. I just set aside some chicken, egg, rice and soft vegetables before the sauce and chili crisp go in for Gio.
And somehow my “we need to eat this before we leave” dinner turned into something I’d purposely make again.
I usually keep scallion pancakes and egg rolls in the freezer, so I’ll throw those on the side and suddenly a random clean-out-the-fridge dinner feels like a whole meal.
Quick, easy, barely any waste and one less fridge full of food to think about before a trip.
Those no-plan dinners really do end up being some of the best ones. ♥
Chicken Fried Rice
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes | Serves: 4
Ingredients
For the Sauce
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon ponzu sauce
- 2 tablespoons Fly By Jing Chili Crisp Oil
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
For the Fried Rice
- 1 chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 eggs
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated garlic and ginger, combined
- 1 cup frozen Asian vegetable medley
- 1 cup chopped bok choy
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, for cooking
- Sesame oil, for cooking
For Serving
- Sliced scallions
- Chili crisp oil
- Sesame seeds
- Lemon wedges
Directions
- Add all of the sauce ingredients to a small bowl. Stir until well combined and set aside.
- Heat a little oil in a wok over medium heat. Add the eggs and cook, stirring, until scrambled. Remove from the wok and set aside.
- In the same wok, add a little more oil and the chicken. Cook over medium heat until cooked through and lightly browned. Remove and set aside with the eggs.
- Add a little olive oil and sesame oil to the wok. Add the red onion, garlic and ginger and sauté until fragrant.
- Add the frozen Asian vegetable medley and cook for 3–4 minutes.
- Add the bok choy and cook for another 2 minutes, until slightly softened.
- Return the chicken and scrambled eggs to the wok. Season lightly with salt and black pepper. Go easy on the salt since the sauce already contains soy sauce.
- Pour in a small amount of the prepared sauce and stir. Cook for about 1 minute to let everything combine.
- Add the cooked rice and remaining sauce. Increase the heat to high and toss everything together until the rice is hot, well coated and all of the flavors come together.
- Remove from the heat and finish with sliced scallions, sesame seeds and extra chili crisp oil.
- Serve hot with a lemon wedge and enjoy!
- A quick clean-out-the-fridge dinner that turned into one of those meals I’ll definitely be making again. ♥
Jesse’s Kitchen Tip
Have everything prepped before you start — fried rice cooks quickly once the wok gets hot. And go easy on the salt since the sauce already has plenty of salty flavor.
Serving Suggestions
♥ Scallion pancakes
♥ Egg rolls
♥ Cucumber salad
♥ Steamed edamame
♥ Iced green tea with lemon
Storage
Store leftover chicken fried rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat thoroughly in a hot wok or skillet, adding a small splash of water or oil if needed. Freeze for up to 2 months and thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Make Ahead
Cook the rice and mix the sauce ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to use. You can also chop the chicken and vegetables ahead so everything is ready once the wok gets hot.
Variations
♥ Swap the chicken for shrimp or steak
♥ Leave out the chicken for a veggie version
♥ Use whatever vegetables you already have on hand
♥ Add extra chili crisp for more heat
♥ Use less chili crisp for a milder version
Baby Friendly?
Yes! Before adding the sauce and chili crisp, set aside some cooked chicken, egg, rice and soft vegetables for baby. Chop, shred or mash everything into an age-appropriate texture and serve mixed together or deconstructed depending on your baby’s stage.
RDH Tip
This sauce contains several salty ingredients, including soy sauce. Enjoy it as part of the meal and offer water afterward to help rinse the mouth.
FAQ
Can I use different vegetables?
Absolutely. That’s part of what makes fried rice so versatile. Use whatever vegetables you have on hand — just adjust the cooking time depending on what you use.
Can I use a different protein?
Yes. Shrimp, steak or another cooked protein would all work, or leave the meat out completely.
Does the rice have to be leftover?
No. I used freshly cooked rice for this recipe and it worked perfectly.
Can I make it less spicy?
Yes. Reduce or leave out the chili crisp in the sauce and skip the extra chili crisp on top.
Can I make the sauce ahead of time?
Yes. Mix it ahead and keep it covered in the refrigerator until you’re ready to cook.
The Best Kind of Clean-Out Dinner ♥
This started with one chicken breast, some bok choy and a few things in the fridge that needed to go, and somehow it turned into a dinner I’d happily make all over again.
That’s why I love recipes like this. You don’t always need a perfectly planned meal or a long grocery list. Sometimes you just need to look at what you already have and make it work.
Serve it hot with scallion pancakes and egg rolls on the side, add a little extra chili crisp if you like the heat, and dinner is done.
- From our kitchen to yours. ♥

Comments
Post a Comment