CHERRY APPLE CIDER BBQ SAUCE
I’ve been making my cherry BBQ sauce for years. It’s one of those recipes I make over and over because I already know everyone loves it. But this time, with fall coming around, I wanted to give it a little seasonal twist.
So obviously, apple cider had to get involved.
The cherries already give the sauce this sweet and slightly tart flavor, and adding apple cider makes it feel completely different without taking away from the cherry BBQ sauce I’ve always made. It adds just enough sweetness and that little fall flavor I was looking for.
There’s actually a lot going on in this sauce. Fresh herbs, star anise, green chili, lemon, Dijon, a little heat from Frank’s and cayenne — everything simmers together with the cherries and cider until the cherries start breaking down and all those flavors really get to know each other.
Then I blend the whole thing until it’s smooth, let it thicken a little longer, and finish it with butter. That last little bit of butter makes the sauce so glossy and gives it that perfect finish.
It’s sweet, tangy, smoky, a little spicy and definitely not your basic bottled BBQ sauce.
I originally made this fall version for my Cherry Cider BBQ Chicken Sandwiches, but now I’m already thinking about everything else I want to put it on. Chicken, burgers, sliders, potatoes — honestly, anything that gives me an excuse to make another batch.
I think my regular cherry BBQ sauce officially has some competition once fall rolls around. ♥
Cherry Apple Cider BBQ Sauce
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 45 minutes | Total Time: 50 minutes | Yield: About 2 cups
Ingredients
- About 20 fresh or frozen pitted cherries
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 star anise pod
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 green chili pepper, slit
- ½ sprig fresh rosemary
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Frank’s RedHot Wings Sauce
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions
- Add the cherries to a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add the apple cider, star anise, thyme, bay leaf, rosemary, green chili and grated garlic. Stir and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the lemon zest, ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, Frank’s RedHot Wings Sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, salt and black pepper. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Let the sauce simmer on low for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cherries break down and the flavors come together.
- Remove from the heat. Remove the star anise, thyme sprig, bay leaf and rosemary, then blend with an immersion blender until smooth. You can also carefully transfer the sauce to a blender.
- Return the sauce to low heat and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened to your liking.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the butter for a smooth, glossy finish.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Sweet, tangy, smoky and a little spicy — this is the BBQ sauce I’ll be making all fall long. ♥
What I Used
I used my Caraway Stainless Steel Sauce Pan to simmer the cherries, apple cider, herbs and spices, then an immersion blender to blend everything right in the pan until smooth and glossy.
- Caraway Stainless Steel Sauce Pan - Shop Amazon
- Immersion Hand Blender - Shop Amazon
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Jesse’s Kitchen Tip
Let the sauce simmer low and slow so the cherries have time to break down and all those flavors come together. After blending, give it another 10 minutes on the heat to thicken, then stir in the butter after turning off the heat for that smooth, glossy finish.
Serving Suggestions
♥ Pulled chicken sandwiches
♥ Grilled or roasted chicken
♥ Burgers or sliders
♥ Crispy potatoes or fries
♥ Bourbon Apple Cider Cocktail
Storage
Store cooled BBQ sauce in an airtight jar or container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Freeze for up to 3 months and thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Make Ahead
Make the sauce a few days ahead and keep refrigerated until ready to use. Reheat gently on the stovetop or use it straight from the fridge as needed.
Variations
♥ Add extra cayenne or green chili for more heat
♥ Add extra cherries for a stronger cherry flavor
♥ Use less brown sugar for a more tangy sauce
♥ Add a little more apple cider if you prefer a thinner sauce
♥ Leave out the cayenne for a milder version
Baby Friendly?
For baby, offer a small amount of the sauce mixed into shredded chicken or another appropriate food. For a milder version, reduce or leave out the cayenne, green chili and hot sauce.
RDH Tip
BBQ sauce is sticky and contains added sugar, so it can cling to teeth. Enjoy it as part of a meal rather than frequent dipping or snacking, and follow with water to help rinse the mouth.
FAQ
Can I use frozen cherries?
Yes! Fresh or frozen pitted cherries both work. There’s no need to wait for cherry season to make this sauce.
Can I make it less spicy?
Absolutely. Reduce or leave out the cayenne and adjust the green chili and hot sauce to your preference.
Can I make the sauce ahead of time?
Yes. It’s actually a great make-ahead sauce and can be stored in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
What if my BBQ sauce is too thick?
Stir in a splash of apple cider until it reaches the consistency you like.
What if my BBQ sauce is too thin?
Let it simmer uncovered for a little longer after blending. It will continue to thicken as it cooks.
My Fall Version of a Favorite ♥
I’ve made my cherry BBQ sauce so many times over the years, but adding apple cider might officially be my favorite version yet.
It still has everything I love about the original — that sweet cherry flavor, tanginess and little bit of heat — but the apple cider gives it exactly the fall twist I was looking for.
Make a batch for my Cherry Cider BBQ Chicken Sandwiches, then save whatever is left because you’re definitely going to find something else to put it on.
- From our kitchen to yours. ♥

Comments
Post a Comment