BABY ALOO PARATHA

Aloo parathas have always been one of my absolute favorite things to eat. Growing up, there was just something about a hot paratha coming straight off the tawa that made it impossible to wait before tearing into one. 

If you’ve never had one, aloo paratha is a Punjabi flatbread stuffed with a seasoned potato filling, rolled out and cooked on a hot tawa until golden with those little browned spots all over.

And for me, an aloo paratha has to have ghee or makhan. Ghee gives it that rich, buttery flavor, while makhan is homemade butter, traditionally served with warm parathas. Add some dahi on the side and I’m very happy. 

So naturally, once Gio started eating more foods, I had to make him his own little version. 

His isn’t a traditional aloo paratha. I wanted to take something I grew up loving and turn it into something soft, nutritious and filling for him, while still keeping that connection to the original.

I start with potato, but pack his with steamed carrot, peas, zucchini and spinach too. Everything gets cooked until really soft and easy to mash, then I add fresh cilantro with a little cumin and coriander. I also mix in poha—flattened rice that I soak until very soft—to make them a little more filling while keeping everything nice and soft.

Then I add just enough atta to bring it all together. I don’t want to keep adding flour just because the dough is a little sticky, so I use some ghee on my hands while shaping instead. They cook on the skillet with a little more ghee until soft, cooked through and lightly golden.

And of course, Gio gets his with dahi, or yogurt, for dipping. 

I love being able to take something that means so much to me and make a little version that works for him right now. It’s packed with vegetables, filling enough for a meal and still connected to the Punjabi food I grew up eating.

One day, he’ll be sitting next to me eating a hot aloo paratha with a big spoonful of homemade makhan on top. 

For now, Mama’s soft little veggie-packed version will do. ♥

Baby Aloo Paratha

Prep Time: 35 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 45 minutes | Serves: 4

Ingredients

  • 1 small potato, steamed and mashed
  • 1 small carrot, steamed and mashed
  • 2 teaspoons peas, steamed and mashed
  • 1 tablespoon zucchini, steamed and mashed
  • A few spinach leaves, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
  • Dash of ground cumin
  • Dash of ground coriander
  • 3 tablespoons poha, soaked until very soft and drained
  • 3–4 tablespoons atta (whole wheat flour), or enough to form a soft dough
  • Ghee, for cooking

Directions

  1. Steam the potato, carrot, peas and zucchini until very tender and easy to mash. I use my NutriBullet Baby steamer, but you can also steam the vegetables on the stovetop.
  2. Meanwhile, soak the poha in water until very soft. Drain well and set aside.
  3. Once the vegetables have cooled slightly, mash the potato, carrot, peas and zucchini together. Add the finely chopped spinach and mix well.
  4. Add the cilantro, cumin and coriander and mix to combine.
  5. Add the drained, softened poha and mash it into the vegetable mixture until well incorporated.
  6. Gradually add the atta, about 3–4 tablespoons or as needed, until a soft dough forms.
  7. Divide the dough into small portions. Using a little ghee on your hands to prevent sticking, gently flatten or roll each portion into a small paratha. Keep them thin, but not too thin.
  8. Heat a skillet or tawa over medium heat. Cook each paratha until lightly golden on the first side, then flip.
  9. Add a small amount of ghee and continue cooking, flipping as needed, until both sides are cooked through and lightly golden.
  10. Let cool to a safe temperature, then cut or tear into an age-appropriate size for your baby.
  11. Serve with dahi (yogurt) for dipping. Mmm. 

- Soft, veggie-packed and made with a little piece of the Punjabi food Mama grew up loving. ♥


What I Used

I use my baby steamer to get the vegetables really soft and easy to mash, and a tawa to cook the parathas until lightly golden while keeping them nice and soft.

Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.


Jesse’s Kitchen Tip

Keep the dough soft and pliable. Add the atta gradually and use only as much as you need to bring everything together. A little ghee on your hands helps prevent sticking without adding extra flour, which helps keep the parathas nice and soft for baby. 

Serving Suggestions

♥ Plain whole-milk dahi (yogurt) for dipping
♥ Soft scrambled eggs
♥ Mashed or sliced avocado
♥ Soft fresh fruit prepared appropriately for baby
♥ Water

Storage

Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 2 months. Reheat until warm and cool to a safe temperature before serving.

Make Ahead

Steam and mash the vegetables up to 1 day ahead. Refrigerate, then mix with the remaining ingredients and cook when ready.

Variations

♥ Swap the potato for sweet potato
♥ Add finely grated paneer
♥ Try other soft vegetables like broccoli or cauliflower
♥ Add a tiny pinch of turmeric
♥ Adjust the vegetables based on what your baby already likes

Baby Friendly?

Yes. These parathas are made with soft steamed vegetables, soaked poha and no added salt. Cook until soft and fully cooked through, then cut or tear into an age-appropriate size for your baby.

RDH Tip

Soft, starchy foods like paratha and potato can stick to little teeth and gums. Offer water with and after the meal, then follow your usual brushing routine.


A Little Piece of Home ♥

There’s something really special about taking a food I grew up loving and finding a way to share it with Gio—even if his version looks a little different for now.

One day he’ll get the full aloo paratha experience. For now, I’m very happy watching him enjoy Mama’s little version. 

- From our kitchen to yours. ♥

Comments

Popular Posts