SHAVED BRUSSELS SPROUT SALAD

I love, love, love a good refreshing salad. And as much as I love roasted Brussels sprouts, sometimes you just don’t want them cooked. Shaving them thin gives you an entirely different way to enjoy them - fresh, crisp, and perfect for soaking up a really good vinaigrette.

This salad is all about flavor and texture. You get the crunch from the shaved Brussels sprouts and Honeycrisp apple, creaminess from the avocado, little pops of sweetness from the dried cherries, salty Parmigiano-Reggiano, and those crispy roasted chickpeas and potatoes that make it feel so much more substantial than your average salad.

Then everything gets tossed in the vinaigrette. I like to really coat the salad and give it a few minutes to sit so the Brussels sprouts can soak up all that flavor while still keeping their crunch. And the crushed croutons at the end? They add that last little crispy bite that makes the whole thing come together.

It’s also such an easy way to get plenty of veggies into one meal without feeling like you’re eating a boring bowl of greens. There’s enough going on that every bite tastes a little different.

Serve it alongside chicken, salmon, or your favorite dinner, or make a big bowl and have it on its own for lunch. It’s fresh and refreshing, but the chickpeas and potatoes make it hearty enough to actually satisfy you.

And one of my favorite things about this recipe is that the components are just as good on their own. The vinaigrette and Roasted Chickpeas & Potatoes are recipes you can make again and use in completely different meals - which is exactly why I’m giving each of them their own recipe too. 

Fresh, crunchy, creamy, sweet, savory - this is my kind of salad. ♥

Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad

Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes | Servings: 4–6

Ingredients

  • 2 cups shaved Brussels sprouts
  • ½ Honeycrisp apple, halved and thinly sliced
  • 1 avocado, chopped
  • Handful of dried cherries
  • 2 cups Roasted Chickpeas & Potatoes — see recipe
  • ¼ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • ¾ cup vinaigrette — see recipe
  • ½ cup crushed croutons

Directions

  1. Prepare the Roasted Chickpeas & Potatoes according to the recipe.
  2. Make the vinaigrette according to the recipe and refrigerate until ready to use.
  3. Shave the Brussels sprouts using a food processor or mandoline.
  4. In a large bowl, combine the shaved Brussels sprouts, sliced apple, avocado, dried cherries, Roasted Chickpeas & Potatoes, and Parmigiano-Reggiano. Season with salt and pepper.
  5. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss well to combine. You want everything nicely coated - the salad will soak up that flavorful vinaigrette as it sits.
  6. Add the crushed croutons and gently toss once more.
  7. Serve at room temperature or chilled, on its own or as a refreshing side dish. 

Fresh, crunchy, creamy, sweet, and savory - all in one seriously good salad. ♥


What I Used

I made this Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad using a few of my favorite kitchen essentials that make prep so much easier. If you're looking for the exact tools I used, I've linked them below.

Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.


Jesse’s Kitchen Tip

Let the dressed salad sit for 10–15 minutes before serving. The shaved Brussels sprouts will soak up the vinaigrette and soften slightly while still keeping that fresh crunch.

Serving Suggestions

♥ Grilled chicken or salmon
♥ Alongside a sandwich or wrap
♥ As a light lunch on its own
♥ With a cozy bowl of soup
♥ A crisp Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio

Storage

Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Keep the crushed croutons separate for the best texture. Freezing is not recommended.

Make Ahead

Prep the Brussels sprouts, vinaigrette, and Roasted Chickpeas & Potatoes ahead of time and store separately. Assemble the salad when ready to serve, adding the avocado and crushed croutons last for the best texture.

Variations

♥ Swap the Honeycrisp apple for pear.
♥ Use dried cranberries instead of dried cherries.
♥ Add grilled chicken or salmon for extra protein.
♥ Add toasted walnuts or pecans for extra crunch.
♥ Add thinly sliced red onion for a little bite.

Baby Friendly?

For baby, serve the components separately before adding the vinaigrette. Offer soft roasted potato, smashed chickpeas, avocado, and finely chopped or appropriately prepared Brussels sprouts in age-appropriate pieces.

RDH Tip

Crunchy foods like apples and Brussels sprouts can help stimulate saliva while you eat. Finish with water to help rinse away any vinaigrette and food particles left behind.


Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to cook the Brussels sprouts first?

No! Shaving them very thin keeps them fresh and crunchy while allowing them to soak up the vinaigrette and soften slightly as the salad sits.

Can I make the Roasted Chickpeas & Potatoes separately?

Absolutely. Make them separately using their recipe, then add them to the salad when you’re ready to assemble. They’re also great on their own or added to other salads and bowls.

Can I make this salad ahead of time?

Yes. Prep the Brussels sprouts, vinaigrette, and Roasted Chickpeas & Potatoes ahead and store them separately. Assemble when ready to serve, adding the avocado and crushed croutons last for the best texture.



- Fresh Never Has to Be Boring. This is proof that a salad can be fresh and refreshing while still having plenty going on. This is a recipe I can see myself making again and again. It works for lunch, dinner, entertaining, or just using up what’s in the fridge - and somehow I’m always going back for another forkful. I hope it becomes one of your favorites too. ♥

Comments

Popular Posts