PAPPARDELLE BOLOGNESE
This one came together completely on a whim while we were on vacation upstate. I walked into this little shop called Nonna’s, saw a beautiful bag of pappardelle, and obviously had to bring it home. There’s something about those wide ribbons of pasta that just begs for a rich, slow-cooked sauce.
While we were there, we visited a bunch of local farms selling their own fresh goods, and I picked up gorgeous tomatoes, garlic, basil, lemon thyme, and fresh cream. Once I had everything together, I knew exactly what I wanted to make with that pappardelle.
I kept the sauce pretty simple because when you have ingredients that fresh, you really don’t need to do too much to them. I browned some beef, built the sauce with the tomatoes, herbs, garlic, and white wine, and let everything cook low and slow. Then I blended the tomatoes until smooth, added the beef back in, and finished it with just enough fresh cream to make the sauce rich without losing that beautiful tomato flavor.
The lemon thyme and fresh lemon zest brighten everything up, while the red pepper flakes give it just a little heat. And those wide pappardelle ribbons are perfect for holding onto all that creamy, meaty sauce.
It’s funny because I didn’t go on vacation planning to develop a new recipe. I just found a beautiful bag of pasta, came across some incredible farm-fresh ingredients, and dinner basically planned itself.
And honestly, those unexpected meals usually end up being some of my favorites. ♥
Pappardelle Bolognese
Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 2 hrs | Total Time: 2 hrs 10 min | Serves: 4
Ingredients
- 1 pint fresh cherry tomatoes
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 lb 80/20 ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh lemon thyme
- 1 handful fresh basil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ¼–½ cup heavy cream, depending on how creamy you like it
- 1 lb pappardelle
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Olive oil, as needed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the onion and lemon thyme. Sauté for a few minutes until the onion begins to soften.
- Add the red pepper flakes and stir, then add the sliced garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine, scraping up all those flavorful browned bits from the bottom. Let the wine reduce by about half.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, basil, lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Lower the heat and let the sauce cook low and slow for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have broken down and the flavors have developed. Add a splash of pasta water if needed to loosen the sauce.
- Meanwhile, cook the pappardelle according to the package directions. Reserve some pasta water before draining.
- Blend the tomato sauce with an immersion blender until smooth. Alternatively, carefully transfer the sauce to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return the sauce to the pan over low heat and add the browned beef. Add pasta water as needed to create a saucy consistency, then simmer for another 30–40 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- Taste and adjust with additional olive oil, salt, and pepper as needed. Stir in ¼–½ cup heavy cream, depending on how creamy you like your sauce, and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked pappardelle to the sauce along with a splash of pasta water. Grate Parmigiano-Reggiano directly over the pasta before tossing, then toss until every ribbon is beautifully coated.
- Finish with more freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and serve hot.
- Rich, creamy, slow-cooked comfort made even better with farm-fresh ingredients. ♥
What I Used
An immersion blender makes it easy to get the tomato sauce beautifully smooth without transferring everything to a full-size blender, and my stainless steel sauté pan is perfect for building the sauce low and slow.
- Immersion Blender – Mine is from HomeGoods and I’ve had it for years, but this is a similar option – Shop Amazon
- Caraway Stainless Steel Sauté Pan – Shop Amazon
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Jesse’s Kitchen Tip
Grate the Parmigiano-Reggiano directly over the hot pappardelle before tossing it into the sauce. The cheese melts onto the pasta and helps that creamy Bolognese cling to every ribbon instead of sliding right off.
Serving Suggestions
♥ Arugula salad
♥ Garlic bread
♥ Roasted broccolini
♥ Extra Parmigiano-Reggiano
♥ Sparkling blood orange soda
Storage
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3–4 days. Reheat gently with a splash of water or cream.
Freezer: Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat gently.
Make Ahead
Make the Bolognese sauce 1–2 days ahead and refrigerate until ready to serve. Reheat gently, then cook the pappardelle fresh and toss everything together with pasta water and Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Variations
♥ Swap ground beef for ground turkey or Italian sausage.
♥ Add mushrooms for an earthier sauce.
♥ Use more cream for an extra-creamy Bolognese.
♥ Add extra red pepper flakes for more heat.
♥ Swap the pappardelle for tagliatelle, fettuccine, or another wide pasta.
Baby Friendly?
Yes! Set aside some of the sauce before adding extra salt, red pepper flakes, and heavy cream. Serve with soft, appropriately cut pasta, or chop the pappardelle into smaller pieces for baby.
RDH Tip
Tomato sauce is acidic—rinse with water after eating and wait 30 minutes before brushing to help protect enamel.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use canned tomatoes instead of fresh?
Yes. Fresh tomatoes are what inspired this version, but good-quality canned tomatoes can work when fresh tomatoes aren’t in season.
Do I have to use pappardelle?
No. Another wide pasta like tagliatelle or fettuccine works beautifully with the rich sauce.
How creamy should the sauce be?
That’s up to you. Start with ¼ cup heavy cream and add more until it reaches the richness you like.
Can I make the sauce ahead?
Absolutely. The sauce can be made 1–2 days ahead, and the flavor gets even better as it sits. Cook your pasta fresh when you're ready to serve.
From an Upstate Find to Our Dinner Table
I love recipes with a little story behind them, and this one will always remind me of that upstate trip—the little shop where I spotted the pappardelle, stopping at local farms, and coming home with ingredients that were too beautiful not to cook with.
Sometimes the best recipes aren't planned at all. You find one ingredient that inspires you, pick up a few fresh things along the way, and let dinner take it from there.
- From our kitchen to yours. ♥

Comments
Post a Comment