HOT HONEY GRILLED CHICKEN
Before me, my husband was perfectly happy eating plain grilled chicken and vegetables. That was basically it. 😂 Then I came along and introduced him to a much bigger culinary world - and, naturally, I had to figure out plenty of ways to make that grilled chicken a little more exciting.
Because bland grilled chicken? Just not for me.
This Hot Honey Grilled Chicken is one of the many versions I make for us. It still gives him the grilled chicken he loves, but with so much more flavor. Hot honey brings that sweet heat, while fresh lemon and lime, garlic, ginger, cilantro, soy sauce, chili powder, and cayenne make sure every bite has something going on. I even add a little cinnamon - it gives the marinade a subtle warmth that works surprisingly well with the honey and spice.
And then there's the butter. Little dollops go onto the chicken right before I flip each piece, melting into all of that marinade while the chicken gets those beautiful charred edges. Once it's off the grill, I finish everything with fresh lime, cilantro, and - because there can never be enough - another drizzle of hot honey.
It's still an easy grilled chicken dinner, just definitely not a boring one. Serve it with rice and vegetables, slice it over a salad, tuck it into a wrap, or make extra for lunches throughout the week.
My husband still gets his grilled chicken. I just made sure it had a little more personality. ♥
Hot Honey Grilled Chicken
Ingredients
- 8 thinly sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp hot honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- Zest of 1 lime
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1–2 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Juice of ½ lime
- Olive oil, as needed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2–3 tbsp butter, cut into small pieces, or as needed
For Finishing
- Lime slices
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh lime juice
- Hot honey, for drizzling
Directions
- Add the chicken, mayonnaise, hot honey, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, lemon and lime zest, cilantro, lemon and lime juice, chili powder, cayenne, cinnamon, a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper to a large zip-top bag. Seal and massage everything together until the chicken is evenly coated.
- Marinate for at least 30 minutes, or longer if you have the time—the longer, the better.
- Heat a cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Lightly coat the pan with olive oil. Add the chicken in batches, being careful not to overcrowd the pan.
- As the chicken cooks, add small dollops of butter on top of each piece before flipping. Flip and continue grilling until beautifully charred and cooked through, about 10–15 minutes total, depending on thickness. The chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Transfer to a serving plate and finish with fresh lime juice, lime slices, cilantro, and an extra drizzle of hot honey.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
What I Used
I’ve had my cast-iron grill pan for years and honestly don’t remember where I bought it, but it’s one of my favorites for getting those beautiful grill marks indoors.
If you’re looking for something similar, this Enameled Cast Iron Grill Pan is a comparable option with raised ridges for searing and grill marks.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Jesse’s Kitchen Tip
Don’t overcrowd the grill pan. Giving each piece some space helps it char instead of steam. And don’t skip the little dollops of butter before flipping - they melt into the marinade and help give the chicken that rich, glossy finish.
Serving Suggestions
♥ Coconut or jasmine rice
♥ Grilled or roasted vegetables
♥ A crisp cucumber salad
♥ Warm naan or flatbread
♥ A cold mango lime mocktail
Storage
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3–4 days. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight and reheat until warmed through.
Make Ahead
Marinate the chicken 30 minutes to a few hours ahead and keep refrigerated until ready to grill. You can also cook the chicken ahead and reheat gently, then finish with fresh lime juice, cilantro, and another drizzle of hot honey before serving.
Variations
♥ Use chicken thighs instead of breasts for an extra-juicy version.
♥ Add more cayenne or hot honey if you like it spicier.
♥ Swap cilantro for parsley if you prefer.
♥ Grill outdoors instead of using a cast-iron grill pan.
Baby Friendly?
Yes! Set aside some chicken before adding extra salt, cayenne, and the finishing hot honey. Cook thoroughly, then shred or cut appropriately for baby.
RDH Tip
Hot honey and citrus make this chicken sweet and tangy. Enjoy it with your meal, rinse with water afterward, and wait about 30 minutes before brushing to help protect your enamel.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Hot Honey Grilled Chicken very spicy?
It has a nice sweet heat, but you can easily control it. Start with less cayenne for a milder version or add more if you like things spicy.
How long should I marinate the chicken?
At least 30 minutes is enough to give it plenty of flavor. If you have more time, let it marinate for a few hours in the refrigerator.
Can I make this on an outdoor grill?
Absolutely. Grill over medium-high heat until you get those charred edges and the chicken reaches 165°F internally.
From Boring Chicken to This. My husband may have started out as a plain grilled-chicken-and-vegetables guy, but we've come a long way. 😂 Now grilled chicken in our house usually means plenty of seasoning, a little experimenting, and definitely some kind of sauce or drizzle.
And if I can turn his old everyday grilled chicken into something sweet, spicy, citrusy, buttery, and covered in hot honey, I consider that progress.
From our kitchen to yours—here’s to never settling for boring chicken. ♥

Comments
Post a Comment