CHICKEN POT PIE
I’ve been making this chicken pot pie for years, and it’s easily one of the most requested dinners in our house. It’s actually one of my mother-in-law’s favorites, which always makes me happy because she asks for it again and again.
I make chicken pot pie a few different ways, but this quick version is probably my favorite. It has everything I love about a traditional chicken pot pie—the creamy filling, tender vegetables, plenty of chicken and that buttery golden topping-but it’s easy enough to make on a weeknight.
The shortcut is a Costco rotisserie chicken and refrigerated biscuits. Instead of making a crust from scratch, I split each biscuit in half so they’re thinner, layer them right over the creamy filling and let everything bake together in the same skillet. They get beautifully golden on top while soaking up just a little of that creamy filling underneath.
And even though this is my easy version, I still want the filling to have a ton of flavor. Fresh rosemary, lemon thyme and sage go in with the vegetables, along with poblano, garlic, lemon zest and a little red pepper for warmth. I also use both chicken and beef broth, a spoonful of Better Than Bouillon and a splash of soy sauce to give the sauce that deeper, slow-cooked flavor without actually having to cook it all day.
Then comes the heavy cream. I usually add it by feel depending on how rich I want the pot pie that night. That’s really how I make the whole filling-I add the broth until it’s creamy and saucy, knowing it’ll thicken even more once it goes into the oven.
It’s warm, creamy, buttery and ridiculously comforting, but still simple enough for a regular weeknight. Everything cooks in one oven-safe pan, the biscuits go right on top, and about 40 minutes later you have that bubbling filling underneath a layer of golden, buttery biscuits.
There are definitely other chicken pot pies that will make their way onto here eventually, but if I had to pick the one I make most often, this is probably it. It’s easy, comforting and one of those dinners I already know will make everyone at the table happy. ♥
Chicken Pot Pie
Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 1 hr | Total Time: 1 hr 10 min | Serves: 4
Ingredients
- 1 Costco rotisserie chicken, meat pulled and shredded
- 2 medium carrots, sliced into rounds
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium russet potato, diced
- ½ poblano pepper, diced
- Handful of frozen peas, or to taste
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2½ tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Better Than Bouillon Chicken
- Chicken and beef broth, as needed for a creamy consistency
- ¼–½ cup heavy cream, depending on desired richness
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- ½ sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh lemon thyme
- 3 fresh sage leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 can Pillsbury Buttermilk Flaky Biscuits, each biscuit split horizontally into 2 thinner rounds
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted, for brushing
- Flaky salt, for topping
- Olive oil, as needed
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
Directions
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Heat 2 tbsp butter with a drizzle of olive oil in a 4.5-quart oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery and sauté for a few minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the sage, rosemary, lemon thyme, bay leaf, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, salt and black pepper. Cook for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add the poblano and garlic. Cook until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the potatoes and cook for 4–5 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally so nothing burns.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp butter and let it melt. Add the flour and cook for about 1 minute, stirring to coat the vegetables and cook out the raw flour taste.
- Add the Better Than Bouillon and soy sauce. Season with additional salt and black pepper as needed and stir everything together.
- Gradually add the chicken and beef broths, stirring as you go, until you reach a creamy, saucy consistency. Let the filling cook for 3–5 minutes to thicken and come together.
- Add the shredded rotisserie chicken and stir until everything is well combined.
- Stir in ¼–½ cup heavy cream, depending on how rich and creamy you like your filling.
- Add the frozen peas and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Split each biscuit horizontally through the middle so that one biscuit becomes two thinner rounds.
- Arrange the biscuit rounds over the filling, leaving a little room between each one.
- Brush the biscuits with 1 tbsp melted butter and finish with flaky salt and black pepper.
- Bake for 35–40 minutes, until the biscuits are golden brown, the filling is hot and bubbly, the potatoes are tender and everything is creamy and cooked through.
- Serve hot and dig in—creamy chicken filling and buttery golden biscuits in every scoop. ♥
What I Used
I love making this in my Caraway stainless steel sauté pan because I can make the filling and bake the entire pot pie in the same pan. I also use wooden cooking utensils from HomeGoods; I linked a similar set below.
- Caraway Stainless Steel Sauté Pan - Shop Amazon
- Wooden Cooking Utensil Set - Shop Similar on Amazon
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Jesse’s Kitchen Tip
Split each biscuit horizontally through the middle before placing it over the filling. The thinner biscuits cook through more evenly while still getting beautifully golden and buttery on top. And don't make your filling too thick before it goes into the oven—it will continue to thicken as it bakes.
Serving Suggestions
♥ Simple green salad
♥ Fresh sliced cucumber with lemon and salt
♥ Sliced avocado with flaky salt
♥ Roasted asparagus or green beans
♥ Crisp sparkling apple cider
Storage
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freezer: Freeze the chicken pot pie filling without the biscuits for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, reheat, then top with fresh biscuits and bake.
Make Ahead
Prepare the filling up to 1 day ahead and refrigerate. When you're ready to serve, gently reheat the filling, top with freshly split biscuits, brush with butter and bake until golden and bubbly.
Variations
♥ Use all chicken broth instead of a chicken and beef broth blend
♥ Swap the poblano for bell pepper
♥ Add corn or green beans with the peas
♥ Use freshly cooked chicken instead of rotisserie chicken
♥ Adjust the heavy cream depending on how rich and creamy you like your filling
Baby Friendly?
For Baby, set aside some of the filling before adding the Better Than Bouillon, soy sauce, red pepper flakes and added salt. Make sure the vegetables are cooked until very tender and the chicken is finely shredded, then serve in an age-appropriate texture.
RDH Tip
Creamy, starchy foods can stick around on little teeth. Offer Baby some water with or after the meal to help rinse away food before brushing later.
FAQ
Can I use chicken breast instead of rotisserie chicken?
Yes. Cooked and shredded chicken breast or thighs will work. The rotisserie chicken is simply what makes this version so quick and easy for a weeknight.
Why do you split the biscuits in half?
Splitting them horizontally gives you two thinner biscuit rounds from each biscuit. They cook through more evenly while still becoming fluffy and golden on top.
How much broth should I use?
Add it gradually rather than measuring an exact amount. You're looking for a creamy, saucy filling that isn't overly thick before baking. It will continue to thicken in the oven.
Can I use only chicken broth?
Absolutely. I like the extra depth that comes from combining chicken and beef broth, but all chicken broth works too.
Can I leave out the heavy cream?
You can, although the cream adds richness to the filling. I use anywhere from ¼ to ½ cup depending on how creamy I'm feeling that day.
How do I know when the pot pie is done?
The biscuits should be golden brown and cooked through, the filling should be bubbling around the edges and the potatoes should be tender.
Weeknight Comfort Food ♥
This is exactly why this version has stayed in our dinner rotation for so many years. It has all the cozy, creamy comfort of chicken pot pie without turning a weeknight dinner into an all-day project.
And when a skillet comes out of the oven bubbling around the edges with those buttery, golden biscuits on top, you really don't need much else. There's a reason it's one of the most requested dinners in our house.
- From our kitchen to yours. ♥

Comments
Post a Comment