CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP

This is the kind of soup I want when I’m just feeling eh—whether I’m under the weather, run-down, or simply craving something warm and comforting.

It’s my version of a soul-healing chicken noodle soup.  I load it with ginger, lemongrass, garlic, fresh herbs, and lemon, which give the broth that bright, cozy flavor that just feels good when you’re not feeling your best. There’s something about a steaming bowl of homemade chicken soup that always hits the spot.

And because I can never leave well enough alone, mine has a few extras. I love potatoes, so I add a russet to make the soup a little heartier. Kale adds some greens, while the carrots, celery, onion, chicken, and noodles make it familiar enough to still feel like the classic chicken noodle soup we all know and love.

The lemon is one of my favorite parts. Between the zest simmering in the broth and fresh lemon juice added at the end, it gives the whole soup a brightness that balances all those savory herbs and keeps the broth from feeling heavy.

And this has become a great family meal for us because the baby loves it too. I can pull his portion out, make sure everything is soft and appropriately sized, and he gets to eat essentially the same cozy dinner we’re having.

It’s nourishing, hearty without being heavy, packed with flavor, and exactly what I want when someone in the house needs a little extra comfort.

A warm bowl, a cozy blanket, and this soup - that’s my version of feeling better. ♥

Chicken Noodle Soup

Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 40 minutes | Total Time: 50 minutes | Servings: 4

Ingredients

  • 1 small onion, finely diced
  • 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
  • 2 large carrots, sliced into small rounds
  • 1 sprig rosemary
  • 4 sage leaves
  • 2 large sprigs thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 russet potato, cut into small cubes
  • 2 cloves garlic, grated
  • 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
  • 1 tbsp lemongrass paste
  • 1 tbsp Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • ½ tbsp herbes de Provence
  • 2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
  • 4–6 cups chicken broth
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, quartered
  • 1 cup chopped kale
  • 2 cups egg noodles
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • Olive oil, as needed
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, for serving

Directions

  1. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat.
  2. Add the onion, celery, carrots, rosemary, sage, thyme, and bay leaf. Cover and sweat over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened and fragrant.
  3. Season with salt and pepper and stir.
  4. Add the potatoes and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
  5. Add the garlic, ginger, and lemongrass paste. Stir and cook for 2–5 minutes, until fragrant.
  6. Add the Better Than Bouillon and lemon zest, stirring until combined.
  7. Add the herbes de Provence and red pepper flakes. Season again with salt and pepper to taste and stir.
  8. Pour in 4 cups chicken broth, increase the heat to medium-high, and bring to a simmer.
  9. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the chicken and gently simmer for 15–20 minutes, or until cooked through.
  10. Remove the chicken from the pot, shred it with two forks, then return it to the soup and stir.
  11. Add the kale and egg noodles. Stir and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the noodles are tender.
  12. Check the consistency and add additional chicken broth as needed, a little at a time. You want enough broth for a soup consistency without making it too thin.
  13. Stir in the fresh lemon juice. Taste and adjust the salt, pepper, or red pepper flakes as needed.
  14. Serve hot with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and crusty bread or crackers. ♥\

- Warm, hearty, and full of bright herbs and lemon - this is chicken noodle soup with a little extra soul. ♥


What I Used

I made this Chicken Noodle Soup using a few of my favorite kitchen essentials that I reach for again and again. If you're looking for the exact tools I used, I've linked them below.

Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.


Jesse’s Kitchen Tip

Let the vegetables sweat low and slow at the beginning—don’t rush them or let them brown. This builds a flavorful base while keeping the broth light. Add your extra broth only after the noodles cook so you can control the final consistency.

Serving Suggestions

♥ Crusty bread
♥ Buttery crackers
♥ Grilled cheese
♥ Simple green salad
♥ A crisp Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio

Storage

Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3–4 days. Add extra broth when reheating as the noodles will absorb some liquid. Freeze for up to 3 months, preferably without the noodles.

Make Ahead

This soup is great for making ahead. Prepare the soup without the noodles, then cool and refrigerate. When ready to serve, reheat gently, add the noodles, and cook until tender. Add a little extra broth as needed before serving.

Variations

♥ Swap egg noodles for your favorite small pasta.
♥ Add spinach instead of kale.
♥ Leave out the red pepper flakes for a milder soup.
♥ Add white beans for an extra hearty, filling version.

Baby Friendly?

Set baby’s portion aside before adding extra salt or red pepper flakes. Shred the chicken finely and cut the vegetables and noodles into age-appropriate pieces, adding extra broth as needed to keep everything soft and easy to eat.

RDH Tip

Chicken noodle soup can leave soft noodles and starches between teeth. Rinse with water after eating and floss between teeth to help remove anything left behind.


Frequently Asked Questions

Why do you sweat the vegetables instead of browning them?

Sweating gently softens the vegetables and releases their flavor without adding color. It creates a flavorful but lighter base for the broth.

Why add ginger and lemongrass to chicken noodle soup?

Ginger and lemongrass give the broth a warm, bright, aromatic flavor that makes this soup feel especially comforting. Ginger is also commonly enjoyed for its soothing qualities, which is one reason I love adding it when I’m feeling under the weather.

Can I make this chicken noodle soup ahead of time?

Absolutely. Make the soup without the noodles, cool and refrigerate it, then reheat and add the noodles when you’re ready to serve. This keeps them from soaking up too much broth and becoming too soft.



- My Kind of Comfort. This is the soup I come back to when I want something warm, nourishing, and comforting. One big bowl, some crusty bread, and I’m happy. ♥


Comments

Popular Posts