PUPPY CHOW

I've been making Puppy Chow since I was little because my mom and I have always had the biggest sweet tooth. If there was something chocolate and peanut butter involved, we were making it. We made this years before I ever saw it sold in bags at the store—although apparently everyone else calls it Muddy Buddies. 😂 It'll always be Puppy Chow to me.

Over the years, I've made it so many different ways, but I always come back to this version. It's simple, foolproof, and somehow disappears every single time. You can dress it up with different chocolates, candies, or holiday sprinkles, but the classic recipe is still my favorite.

The funny part is that my husband isn't even a dessert person. He'd choose a big plate of pasta over cake any day. But this? He asks me to make it all the time. I usually tell myself I'm making it for everyone else, but before I know it, I'm standing in the kitchen grabbing handful after handful. I honestly don't think I've ever made a batch that lasted more than a couple of days.

If you've never made homemade Puppy Chow before, you're in for a treat. It's crunchy, chocolatey, perfectly sweet, and ridiculously easy to make. Just don't blame me when you can't stop snacking on it.

Some recipes are fancy, and some recipes are simply meant to be shared around the kitchen table while everyone sneaks "just one more handful." This one has been part of my life for as long as I can remember, and I hope it becomes part of yours too. ♥

Puppy Chow

Prep Time: 10 minutes | Chill Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes | Servings: 15

Ingredients

  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 6 cups Rice Chex cereal
  • 1–1½ cups powdered sugar
  • Pinch of flaky sea salt

Directions

  1. Melt the peanut butter and chocolate together using the microwave or a double boiler on the stovetop. If using the microwave, heat for 30 seconds, then continue in 15-second intervals, stirring between each, until smooth. This helps prevent the chocolate from burning.
  2. Place the Rice Chex cereal in a large mixing bowl. Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal a little at a time, gently stirring until evenly coated. Depending on how well it coats, you may need slightly more or less cereal.
  3. Allow the mixture to cool until it reaches room temperature. If needed, refrigerate for about 20 minutes to speed up the process, but do not let it harden completely.
  4. Add the powdered sugar a few spoonful's at a time, gently tossing to coat. Continue until the cereal is evenly coated or reaches your desired sweetness. Finish with a pinch of flaky sea salt. Kitchen Trick: Transfer the mixture to a large zip-top bag, add the powdered sugar, and shake until evenly coated.
  5. Enjoy immediately, or store in an airtight container at room temperature. For a firmer, chilled treat, store it in the refrigerator.

Jesse’s Kitchen Tip

Make sure the cereal has cooled before adding the powdered sugar. If it’s too warm, the sugar will melt instead of creating that classic sweet coating.

Serving Suggestions

♥ Movie nights
♥ Holiday dessert trays
♥ Party snack bowls
♥ Homemade gift bags
♥ Ice-cold milk

Storage

Room Temperature: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

Refrigerator: Store for up to 2 weeks if you prefer it chilled.

Make Ahead

Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week, so it’s ready whenever you’re craving a sweet treat.

Variations

♥ Add crushed After Eights for a minty chocolate twist - my favorite!
♥ Use dark chocolate instead of semi-sweet.
♥ Drizzle with melted white chocolate.
♥ Mix in mini peanut butter cups or M&M’s.
♥ Add a pinch of cinnamon for extra warmth.

Kid Friendly?

Ages 4+

• Great for older kids as a fun dessert or snack.
• Supervise young children, as cereal pieces can be a choking hazard.

RDH Tip

Enjoy sweet treats in moderation, and rinse with water afterward to help wash away sugar before brushing later.


- And just like that... it’s gone. ♥

Comments

Popular Posts