KARAH PARSHAD – A SACRED SIKH TRADITION

Some recipes are more than something you make and eat. They carry memories, traditions, and a feeling that is hard to put into words. For me, Karah Parshad is one of those recipes.

Growing up, Karah Parshad wasn’t something I only had at the Gurdwara. It was part of our home too. Every Sunday morning, it was a tradition, and the smell of atta slowly roasting in ghee would fill the kitchen. Even now, that smell immediately brings me back to those mornings at home with my family.

As a kid, I also have to admit that Karah Parshad was one of the best parts of going to the Gurdwara. I knew that at the end, I would cup both hands together and receive that warm, soft, buttery parshad. There was nothing else quite like it, and somehow, the parshad at the Gurdwara always tasted extra special.

That love for Karah Parshad has never changed. Everyone in my family loves it, and the Sunday morning tradition I grew up with is still part of our lives today. There is something comforting about watching such simple ingredients—atta, ghee, sugar, and water—come together to make something that holds so much meaning.

What I love most about this recipe is that it connects different parts of my life. It reminds me of being a little girl, of Sunday mornings with my family, and of going to the Gurdwara. Now, as I continue these traditions in my own home, it means even more to me.

Karah Parshad represents faith, equality, gratitude, and community, but for me, it also represents home. It is a recipe I grew up with, a tradition I still carry with me, and one I hope will continue in my family for generations to come. 

This simple, traditional Karah Parshad recipe is made with just four ingredients and comes together in about 25 minutes. The key is patience—slowly roasting the atta in ghee until it becomes deep golden, fragrant, and nutty before bringing everything together into a smooth, glossy parshad. 

Karah Parshad

Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes | Servings: 8–10

Ingredients 

  • 1 cup atta (whole wheat flour)
  • ¾ cup granulated sugar, or to taste
  • ¾ cup desi ghee
  • 2 cups water

Directions

  1. In a small saucepan, combine the water and sugar. Heat over medium heat, stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved. Keep warm.
  2. In a kadai or deep skillet, melt the desi ghee over low heat.
  3. Add the atta and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until the flour turns a deep golden brown and becomes fragrant.
  4. Carefully and gradually add the warm sugar-water mixture to the flour and ghee mixture, stirring continuously.
  5. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring continuously, until the Karah Parshad becomes smooth, thick, and glossy.
  6. Serve warm.

Jesse’s Kitchen Tip

The key is patience. Cook the atta slowly over low heat, stirring often, until it reaches a deep golden color and smells rich and nutty. Don’t rush this step—it’s what gives Karah Parshad its signature flavor and smooth texture.

The Tradition

Karah Parshad is a sacred offering prepared and served in Sikh Gurdwaras and during religious gatherings. It is shared equally with everyone, reflecting the Sikh values of equality, humility, and community. It is traditionally received with both hands cupped together and enjoyed with gratitude and respect.

Serving

Serve Karah Parshad warm. Its soft, rich texture is best enjoyed fresh, when the ghee is fragrant and the parshad is smooth and glossy. When served in a religious setting, it is offered and received with respect and gratitude.

Storage & Reheating

Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The texture will firm as it chills.

Reheat gently in a pan over low heat, stirring frequently. Add a small spoonful of water or ghee, if needed, to restore its soft and smooth texture.


- Simple ingredients, a little patience, and a tradition filled with meaning. I hope you enjoy this Karah Parshad recipe and share it with the people you love. ♥

Comments

Popular Posts